free counters

3/26/10

My little chicken house fiasco


The chicken coop door slammed shut with a bang, as I walked in with the basket.

The late March air in Kentucky is almost always unpredictable, and today was a cold one. Me, being from Montana, didn't mind trotting out to get the eggs in shorts and flip flops for a short time.
As I approached the side of the chicken house to open the bottom hatch, I noticed the rain had made a big dip of water in the tarp above and was brushing the top of my head. I didn't pay it too much attention, though. The bottom bunker didn't hold any eggs, so I moved to the other side of the house.

I was careful not to step on the muddy patches of earth. Flip flops in a cruddy, wet chicken house don't do well, after all. In fact, the whole place reeked of chicken droppings and damp feed.

Our chicken house was designed so the roof could open up and you could walk inside by a hip-high door. I started lifting the roof, but stopped.

Because of that giant dent in the tarp, I couldn't open the top all the way. I sighed. "Great."
Mom had sent me out for eggs to cook with, and I needed them ASAP. So, I did what I thought was the best idea at the time.

Slowely, I propped the roof up on my lower back and stretched my arm closer to the top bunker. My fingers brushed one of the 15 eggs in the box. A little closer...Got it. One by one, eggs began to fill my metal basket. I was down to the last four, when the door suddenly slipped drastically downward, hitting my head on the top. "Okay...Ow."
I shuffled back a few inches until the door was back where it was supposed to be. Only one problem: I couldn't reach the rest of the eggs now! I stood there for a few seconds, just staring at the box.

.....I swear, the universe hates me....

I stood as high as I could on my toes, resulting in the roof going higher and my upper body going downwards. My arms were just long enough to reach the three in front. "One more...."

Finally, I reached the last and final egg and stood up quickly, letting the roof crash back down on the house. I closed the door. Walked out of the coop, and smuggly trotted back up the stairs, triumphant!
** ♥ ♥ ♥***
Yes, true story in case you were wondering!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha that's awesome, great job!
-Em. (doesn't want to log in at the moment)